Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Punjabi Malai Koftas w/ a Twist

Koftas, meat balls originates from Iran and the middle east. It later spread to other Asian countries including India, dish called Malai Kofta. Its made with Lauki (squash) and is must for people suffering from digestive problems, are diabetic or convalescing, because  it is easily digestible and low in calories. Lauki is 96.1% water, so is light on the stomach and aids digestion.

Lauki (Squash)

Usually I make Kofta Sabji with Lauki, it’s a family recipe that my mother taught me a few months ago. However, the recipe below is not made with Lauki. Saturday was a busy day for me. I ran around doing one thing to another. In the evening, we were having a family dinner. It was just my father and I at the house in the afternoon. As we were sitting there watching TV, it dawned on me that we had nothing made in the house, nothing fresh at least. The last dish made in the house was the Bhindi and it was just enough for one person. I remembered that I had bought Lauki a few days ago but didn't feel like going through the process of making it. I definitely wanted kofta sabji to be made but with no one in the house that could cook except I, I would have to make it myself. For a minute, I let my mind wander into making something else, that how I discovered the paneer in the freezer. I thought wait...making paneer kofta sabji would be even better, since my taste buds overpowered my mind; it was a go. I saw some spinach next and was sold. Being bored at home on a Saturday afternoon, results in new a recipe. So here is the recipe I made on Saturday evening.  The dish actually turned out, Good! 

Ingredients:

Kofta

Paneer
300 grams paneer (look in the freezer in any Indian grocery store)
6 slices bread – sides removed (recommendation: whole wheat) 
3 tbsp. dahi (Yogurt)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 green chili – chopped finely
1 tbsp. finely chopped coriander
1/2 cup spinach -chopped, boiled and strained
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. red chili powder
3 tbsp. All Purpose flour

Gravy
4 tbsp. olive oil
1 large red onion
2 tomatoes
4 cloves
3/4 cup of roasted cashews
1 red pepper - thinly sliced
1 tbsp. coriander powder
1/2 tbsp. red chili powder
1/2 tbsp. garam masala
salt to taste

The wow factor:
1 tbsp. ghee
1″ piece ginger – cut into match sticks
2 green chilies – slit lengthways
1/2 tsp. red chili powder

Directions:
  1. To prepare koftas, spread dahi on each slice of bread to wet it.
  2. After spreading dahi on both sides of bread, keep aside for a minute. 
  3. In a bowl, mash the paneer and spinach together.
  4. Add baking powder, green chilies and coriander.
  5. Mash the bread slices and mix with the paneer.
  6. Add salt, pepper & red chili powder to taste.
  7. Add flour at the end. Mix well. The mixture should have dough like consistency.
  8. Spread oil on both hands and make medium size balls out of the dough. You should be able to make about 20 balls.
  9. Deep fry 4-5 pieces at a time, in medium hot oil and keep aside to cool.
  10. To prepare the gravy, place a pan (something you use to make chili or curry) over medium heat, heat olive oil.
  11. Chop red onion and tomato and grind into a paste.
  12. Add the onion – tomato paste and cook until onion start to turn brown/red.
  13. Add the red pepper (thinly sliced), cashews and cook till mixture turns dry.
  14. Add spices Рcoriander powder, red chili powder, aamchur and salt to taste. Saut̩ further for 6-8 minutes on medium flame, till oil separates.
  15. Add 2 cups water to make a thin gravy and sauté for another 6 to 8 minutes. Turn the heat low until you’re ready to serve.
  16. At serving time, turn the heat back to medium and place the koftas into the gravy, avoid stirring.  Heat for 3-4 minutes. until the gravy starts to bubble.
  17. Remove from fire and gently transfer to a serving dish.
  18. For extra zing to wow your guests, take a small pan and heat over medium heat.
  19. Add ghee and ginger to the pan. When ginger turns brownish, shut off the flame.
  20. Add green chilies and red chili powder and immediately pour the oil on the koftas in the serving dish.

Enjoy with roti, rice or naan...

My favorite combo: Koftas and Roti with side salad YUM! 





1 comment:

  1. Kofta, without any meat?!??! Interesting. I want to try it out. Looks and sounds good.

    ReplyDelete